Downsizing to smaller homes is not just for the empty nesters or retirees. Everyone is feeling the crunch to make do with less space and things. When you move to a smaller space, you will have to get rid of furniture and lots of stuff to avoid that cluttered feeling. Don’t succumb to the temptation to get a storage space. Months and years later you will find that you never did use those items.
Access your true needs – what do you need today – not something you hope to use at some undetermined time in the future. Be honest with yourself. Ask yourself those hard questions like “when am I truly going to start using that dusty exercise bike? or can I get rid of it to make more space. The rule of thumb I like to use is – if you have not used it in a year – chances are you won’t, so eliminate it and move on.
Some of the ways to eliminate that excess are:
• Have a Yard Sale or Estate Sale
• List large items like furniture or appliances on Craig’s List
• Sell your old albums, figurines, collectibles on Ebay
• Sell your designer clothes, purses, shoes at consignment shops
• Sell your books, movies, games and CD’s at used books stores like Half Priced Books
• Donate to family and friends
• Recycle items like eyeglasses to organizations like Lion’s club
• Recycle old computers, wires/cables, TV’s, printers like Global Electronic Recycling or your local recycling center
• Donate to your favorite school or charity
• Use a professional to load and haul away your large items – try Rubbish Works